Dippy the Dinosaur
- Number One Riverside (for Dippy) and Touchstones (Exhibition), Rochdale
- Monday 10 February 2020 to Sunday 28 June 2020
- Impacted area(s)
Rochdale Town Centre
Tram/Bus/Train/Walk/Cycle are the best ways to see Dippy!
The Metrolink is a great way to get to see Dippy. The Rochdale Interchange is only a couple of minutes walk from Number One Riverside where Dippy is currently on show...
Taking the family? Take advantage of the Metrolink family 1-day travelcard, which can be used to travel across the whole network for just £7.30 (allows 2 adults and 3 mini-rex to travel). Alternatively, you can buy a family weekend travelcard for just £9.50.
There are even free Park and Ride sites which you use to hop on the tram and avoid the traffic and town centre car park costs. Park and Rides are available at:
- Shaw with 90 spaces (Beal Lane, Shaw, OL2 8UY) - less than 10 mins to Rochdale.
- Derker with 251 spaces (Cromford Street, Derker, OL1 4DW) - less than 20 mins to Rochdale.
If you’re arranging a school trip to Dippy, take advantage of Metrolink’s fantastic Kids for a Quid scheme.
The Kids for a Quid offer applies to school group bookings of 10 or more students, aged 5-16, travelling after 9.30am. Bookings must be made at least 7 days in advance by calling Metrolink on 0161 205 2000.
Going to see Dippy by bus? Couldn't be easier - The Bus interchange is a couple of minutes walk from the event (and connects to the Metrolink). Buses are great for avoiding town centre car park charges and run frequently from several areas around Rochdale.
Fast and frequent services are available when travelling from:
- Littlebrough hop on the 457, x58 or 590
- Shaw hop on the 408, 58
- Heywood hop on the 471
- Ashton/Oldham hop on the 409
- Manchester/Middleton hop on the 17
- Bolton hop on the 471
- Accrington hop on the 464
Walking and Cycling
If you live locally why not stretch those legs and walk to the event or for a quicker journey get on your bike!
There is a safe cycle hub located at Rochdale Rail station which is only a short 10 minute walk to see Dippy - Cycle and walking..that counts!
We're not sure if Dippy could fit on a train...but if he could he would love the fast and frequent Rail services from all over Greater Manchester!
If you have a valid train ticket, you can use the Metrolink for free between the rail station and Rochdale Interchange for the duration of the event.
Valid train tickets are:
- Any day, week, month or annual train ticket valid between a Greater Manchester rail station and Rochdale
- An adult day, week, 28-day or annual GM Traincard valid in Greater Manchester and some stations in the Peak District, these are Glossop, Disley, New Mills Central, New Mills Newtown
- An adult or child GM Rail Ranger
- A System One Countycard (AnyBus and train plus tram zone 1)
- A System One AnyBus & train ticket
- A Wayfarer adult, child, concessionary or group ticket
Or, if you fancy a stroll, the station is only a 10-minute walk from the event. If travelling from Manchester, train services leave from Victoria station, which also has great connections to all Metrolink lines.
Services also call at Rochdale from stations further afield, such as Leeds and Burnley. Rail customers who are travelling from stations outside Greater Manchester will need to buy a Metrolink ticket before they board the tram.
The best way to see Dippy is by using public transport - There is no parking at Number One Riverside. There are some town centre car parks available however spaces may be limited depending on the time of day. It is advised to leave the car at home and take one of the several public transport options available.