Manchester United v Southampton
- Old Trafford
- Sunday 12 March 2023 from 2:00pm to 4:00pm
- Impacted area(s)
Manchester city centre, Trafford, Stretford, Salford
Manchester United face Southampton at 2pm on Sunday 12 March.
- Congestion is to be expected due to a number of road works and events taking place in the city centre. For information on the impact and travel advice visit our dedicated webpage for the 11 and 12 March.
- On Sunday 12 March, city centre planned improvement works will be taking place on Metrolink. There will be no trams operating via Shudehill, Market Street or Piccadilly Gardens.
- A six-minute service will operate on the Altrincham line pre-match. Take the tram to Old Trafford on the Altrincham line or Wharfside on the Trafford Park line. Please see our tram schedule webpage.
- Prepare for an additional 20 minutes to be added onto your journey if you are driving towards the stadium from the south.
There are a number of stops within easy walking distance of the ground:
As city centre planned improvement works are taking place on Metrolink - No trams will be operating via Shudehill, Market Street or Piccadilly Gardens.
- Travelling on the Bury/Rochdale Town Centre lines: Please board a tram to Victoria – Services are travelling via Exchange Square towards Old Trafford.
- Travelling on the Altrincham line: Please use Old Trafford.
- Travelling on the East Didsbury, Manchester Airport lines: Please use Trafford Bar.
- Travelling on the Eccles line: Please change at Cornbrook and board an Altrincham tram to Old Trafford or; at Pomona please board a Trafford Centre service to Wharfside – small walk to the stadium.
- Travelling on the Ashton line: Please alight at Piccadilly to get a replacement bus to Cornbrook to board an Altrincham/Trafford Centre service.
Some Trafford Park line services will now terminate at Deansgate-Castlefield, with Wharfside being the nearest stop on that line to the ground. Search for your Trafford Park line stop on our live updates page for more information.
After the match, Altrincham-bound customers are advised to use Old Trafford tram stop. If travelling on the East Didsbury or Airport lines, please use Trafford Bar. Take a look at our map of both stops for more info.
Park for free at Parkway park and ride and board the tram to Wharfside - which is only a five-minute walk to the stadium. There are also several other park and ride sites available - visit our park and ride webpage for more information.
Beat the queue at the machines and touch-in and out at the on-stop machines using contactless Save money and travel with the family using our family travelcard. Remember, this is only available on the on-stop ticket machines. The stadium and all Metrolink stops close to it are in Zone 2.
Congestion on the roads close to Old Trafford will start to build from around 1pm as fans start to make their way to the ground.
- If you are travelling from the west side of Manchester, plan an additional 20 minutes into any journey by road.
- If you are travelling from the east side of Manchester, along the Mancunian Way, expect an additional 15 minutes to your journey.
- If you are travelling from the south of Manchester via M60 Junction 7, expect an additional 30 minutes added to your journey along the A56 Chester Road. The quickest route to the official car parks is via Parkway and Wharfside Way (M60 Junction 9).
If your route by road to the match includes the city centre and the inner ring road, please note that planned works will take place on Shudehill, York Street, John Dalton Street and Thompson Street. In addition, there is the St Patrick's Day Parade in the Cheetham Hill Road area from midday.
With planned works and other events in mind, expect a significant amount of additional time to be added to journeys by car through the city centre, particularly if you are travelling around the Shudehill area or on High Street or Corporation Street. There will be congestion on the roads at all times of the day. For city centre travel advice, please see our dedicated webpage.
At the end of the game, there will be road closures in place for supporter safety. Expect delays of up to 50 minutes if travelling in and around Old Trafford.
Match day car parking
Official parking is available at Old Trafford and can be booked online via the Manchester United website.
Please ensure that you are parking responsibly on match days, so that other road users and local residents can also use the highways in and around the ground.
More information about match day parking is available on the Manchester United website.
If you are intending to catch a bus to or from Old Trafford, the following commercial bus services will bring you closest to the ground – 250, 255, 256, 263 and X50.
Check out the map with the nearest stops here.
Journey times could also be impacted due to the increased levels of traffic, so be sure to plan ahead and allow extra time for your travel.
Services are operating to a normal timetable but for more information consider following @StagecoachGM on twitter.
Get on board a bus with simple and clear low bus fares.
Adults will pay no more than £2 for a single bus journey, while a £5 1 day AnyBus Adult travelcard will cover unlimited bus travel within the 10 boroughs of Greater Manchester until 3.59am the following day.
For more information, you can visit our dedicated webpage.
The ground is also only a short Metrolink ride (20 minutes) from Piccadilly Station in the city centre.
- From Manchester Piccadilly rail station: Please board an Altrincham tram and get off Old Trafford.
- From Victoria: Please board an Altrincham tram and get off Old Trafford.
- From Oxford Road: Please board an Altrincham tram from Deansgate-Castlefield to Old Trafford.
For tram services, just take the stairs down from the main concourse area at Piccadilly Station.
Please remember to plan your journey in advance of the date by checking on the National Rail Website.
Old Trafford is easily accessible on foot from local areas - take a look at a walking map of the area to find the right route for you.
If you are within a 30-minute walk of the ground, make a journey to Old Trafford on foot!
Another quick and easy way to get to Old Trafford is cycling. Covered cycle parking is available at Trafford Town Hall, near the corner of Talbot Road and Warwick Road.
Explore your neighbourhood and make walking and cycling part of your matchday routine.