Run Wigan Festival
- Run Wigan Festival
- Sunday 19 March 2023 from 7:30am to 1:30pm
- Impacted area(s)
Wigan - Mesnes Park
This year, Wigan will host the Run Wigan Festival on Sunday 19 March (9.30am start time).
Entrants will race a unique course around Wigan, starting and finishing at Mesnes Park.
If you're travelling around Wigan, or to take part in the race, our key advice is:
- A number of road closures, detailed below, will be in place between 8am and 12.30pm.
- For local trips, can you walk or cycle instead? You'll avoid being caught in road closures and congestion.
- Journey times around the route are likely to take longer so please allow more time for your journey.
- Bus diversions will be in place in Wigan on the day. Consider walking or cycling for shorter trips as it could be quicker for you.
Keep up to date with live transport updates by following @OfficialTfGM on Twitter.
The 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 / 10A, 22A, 132, 320, 352, 362, 375, 575 and 635 bus services will be diverted due to road closures associated with the race.
Further information about these can be found on our bus diversion guide.
Below is a list of the road closures that will be in place between 8am – 12.30pm on Sunday 19 March 2023:
- Parson's Walk
- Park Road
- Woodhouse Lane
- Woodhouse Drive
- Scot Lane
- Martland Mill Lane
- Walthew House Lane
- Stonehouse Road
- Challenge Way
- Stadium Way
Consider walking or cycling for local journeys as it may be quicker than driving.
Train services to Wigan
Wigan is well-served by two rail stations - Wigan Wallgate and Wigan North Western which are in close proximity to each other and located around a 15-minute walk from the starting point of the race. Please check train times ahead of the event as services through Wigan run less frequently on a Sunday.
The National Rail website has information on train times, fares and ticketing, so that you can plan your journey. You can also follow them on Twitter @nationalrailenq.
Walking and Cycling
If you are intending to travel around Wigan on Sunday, active travel options may prove to be a quicker option.
You can find out more information on your options on our Active Travel website.