Skip to main content

Travel pass for older people

Free travel for older people

If you qualify for a state pension, you could be eligible for a pass that gives you free travel in Greater Manchester and the rest of England under the English National Concessionary Travel Scheme.

If you are female, born between 6 October 1953 and 5 November 1954 and are a permanent resident in Greater Manchester then you can apply for a Women’s Concessionary Travel pass.

Do you qualify?

To get a travel pass for older people from TfGM you must:

  • live in Greater Manchester, (if you live outside Greater Manchester apply for a pass in your own area but passes issued by other areas are not valid on rail and Metrolink in Greater Manchester); and
  • qualify for a state pension. It doesn't matter if you are taking the pension or not, or whether you work or not.

The age you qualify for a state pension isn't the same for everyone. You may need to be up to 66 to qualify depending on when you were born. If you're not sure, check your state pension age.

Costs and benefits

The pass is free, and lasts for five years.

Within Greater Manchester:

  • Travel for free on all buses and Metrolink trams within Greater Manchester between 9.30am and midnight, Monday to Friday, and all day at weekends and on public holidays.
  • Travel for free on trains within Greater Manchester on journeys scheduled to run at or after 9.30am, Monday to Friday, and all day at weekends and on public holidays.
  • If you travel outside of these times you must pay the full adult fare.

Throughout England:

  • Travel for free on all local buses between 9.30am and 11pm Monday to Friday, and all day at weekends and on public holidays.
  • If you travel outside of these times you must pay the full adult fare.

How to use the pass

You must always remember to:

  • touch in at the card reader when boarding buses
  • touch in and touch out at a yellow smart reader on tram stops, for Metrolink

The smart readers on tram stops now accept contactless cards and devices for travel. Please move your concessionary pass away from your payment cards, when you use a smart reader. For example, if you keep your pass in a wallet or purse, remove it before you touch-in and touch-out. This will make sure you’re not charged on a contactless card you didn’t intend to use.

Apply for a pass

Get an application form from a TfGM Travelshop.

If you are eligible complete the relevant form and attach:

  • a passport-sized colour photograph of yourself
  • proof of age – birth certificate, medical card, passport or driving licence
  • proof of your address – a utility bill , local council tax bill or Department for Work and Pensions letter dated in the last 12 months.
  • Please do not send original documents.

You can take your form and proof to a Travelshop to check or post your documents to the FREEPOST address on the application form.

Renew your pass

At least two weeks before your travel pass expires, we will contact you about renewing your pass or, if we don’t need to check anything with you, we will send you a new pass.

If you have received a letter from TfGM containing a renewal code, you can renew your pass online.

If you change address it is your responsibility to inform TfGM. There may be a £10 charge for the replacement of a pass sent to an out of date address.

If you no longer require your pass or have any other queries please contact TfGM's Concessionary Travel team on 0161 244 1000.

If you lose your pass

If you lose your pass there is a £10 charge for replacing a lost, stolen or damaged card. You can pay by card over the phone.

Call TfGM on 0161 244 1050 to make a card payment (7am to 8pm Monday to Friday and 8am to 8pm at weekends and public holidays).

Visit a Travelshop to order and pay for a replacement pass.